The philosophy of the department is to produce managerial manpower with appropriate knowledge, skills and aptitude to handle the ever-growing and changing business environment.
To produce management scientists that are self-reliant and useful to the society.
To use highly skilled personnel to train the students with the latest technology available.
Aims and Objectives:
The major objectives of the Department are: to train, educate and imbue in students appropriate knowledge, skills, and attitudes to prepare and position them for the ever growing and challenging managerial responsibilities in Nigeria and around the world. Other objectives include:
- To champion the cultivation of the spirit of entrepreneurship in the Nigerian youth and citizenry, who can propel Nigeria and the world into greater development, by creating new businesses and/or managing existing ones creatively.
- To produce graduates well-grounded in management sciences who can fit into a variety of available jobs-public or private- as managers, teachers and researchers.
- To educate and train managers at undergraduate, post-graduate, post-experience and professional levels.
- To help in the building and accumulation of relevant body of knowledge- teaching materials, information, literature and books- in business studies through research and cross fertilization of ideas in the classroom that would position Nigeria for sustainable development.
A. Admission requirements for the Four-Year Programme
- At least credit passes in five subjects at Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSCE), (or equivalent in General Certificate of Education, GCE O/L or West African School Certificate W.A.S.C. or at least five merit passes in TC II) which should, in all cases, include English Language, Mathematics, Economics or any Social Science subject, obtained in not more than two sittings. In addition:
- The Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination UTME must be in Use of English, Mathematics, Economics or Business Methods and any other Social Science subject. Plus:
- An acceptable mark at the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
B. Admission requirements for the Three-Year Programme
- Requirements in A (1) above plus two subjects at the GCE A/L or Higher School Certificate-HSC, one of which should be Accounting and either Economics or Business Management. In Exceptional cases the following qualifications may also be considered:
- Requirement in A (1) Plus a complete pass in the intermediate examination of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria or of any other equivalent professional Accounting body. OR
- Requirements in A (1) plus Passes in all parts of the Associate-ship Examination of the Institute of Bankers. OR
- Requirements in A (1) plus The Ordinary National Diploma in Business Administration or any relevant subject (passed with a minimum average of upper credit) from a recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology.
- Requirements in A (i) plus The Diploma in Accounting and any other relevant area with a minimum credit pass from any recognized University.
- A Higher National Diploma (HND) in any relevant area with a minimum credit pass from any recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in any subject awarded by a recognized University.
C. Admission Requirements for the Two Year Programme
- Requirements in A (1) plus The Higher National Diploma in Business Administration (passed with Distinction) of a recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology