The Department of Economics offers a four-year degree programme leading to the award of Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics. The Department was established in 2008, at the inception of the University, under the College of Social and Management Sciences. It maintains this Departmental status till date and produced its first set of graduates in 2011.
The philosophy of the Department of Economics is that training and education in Economics will bring out the best of human capital and material resources; which will foster sustainable growth and development in the Nigerian and international political economies.
To produce quality Economists with entrepreneurial and innovative minds that would be of value in public and private organizations as well as self-employment.
The mission of the Economics programme is to produce competent graduates with razor-edge intellectual minds, equipped with critical skills to model real world problems. Also to analyze data and communicate the results effectively to the general public as well as to draw pragmatic policy inferences that would promote Nigeria’s socio-economic development in a globalizing world.
- To produce graduates with a deep understanding of the principles of economics.
- To produce graduates with a deep appreciation of the application of economic principles to a range of problems and its relevance in a variety of contexts.
- To produce intellectual/research minds equipped with qualitative and quantitative analytical tools, knowledge and skills to provide solutions to societal economic problems.
- To produce competent and confident graduates who can effectively cope with decision-making and advisory challenges in both the private and public sectors of the economy.
- To prepare students for vigorous post-graduate and academic pursuits in all areas of economic discipline, related areas or in inter-disciplinary areas that involve economics.
- To produce honest and independent minded graduates with the highest ideals of academic excellence and ethical standards, who would aspire to leadership positions in the country.
Admission Requirements for the Four (4) Year B.Sc. Programme:
- Admission through Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
- Possession of Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSC), General Certificate of Education (GCE), National Examination Council (NECO) or their equivalents with at least five Credit Passes in relevant subjects, at not more than two sittings including Mathematics, English and Economics.
- Candidates must have acceptable passes in UTME.
- Candidates must be successful in the post JAMB test/screening if conducted by the university.
Admission Requirements for the Three (3) Year B.Sc. Programme – Direct Entry:
- Candidates for Direct Entry Admission shall possess five credits passes in GCE, SSC, NECO subjects or their equivalents at ordinary level (O/L), and at least two subjects at advanced level (A/L) as well as N.C.E. or ND in relevant fields provided that such passes are not at more than two sittings of the examinations. For emphasis, credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and Economics are required.
NOTE: Direct entry students MUST register for all the General Studies courses in the College in their first year EXCEPT where the courses have been offered and evidence shown in the transcript.